- 3-4 cups (about 500 grams) clams, washed then soaked in cool water for at least one hour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- a knob of ginger, peeled and sliced (or julienned)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups cooked U.S. Great Northern beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup pepper leaves (dahon ng sili)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (or to taste)
- Drain the clams and set aside briefly.
- Heat cooking oil in a pot. Add ginger and sauté until aromatic. Stir in garlic and onion. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds then add the cooked U.S. Great Northern beans. Mix briefly and add the water. Bring to a boil, then add the clams. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, or just until the clams are open (Discard the ones with the shells closed).
- Add pepper leaves and cook just until wilted. Season with fish sauce and allow to boil for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a soup bowl. Serve with steamed rice.
Recipe by Chef Jill Sandique