U.S. Yellow Split Peas Cook with Pork Leg and Lotus Root
- 40 g U.S. Yellow Split Peas
- 500 g Pork Leg, cubed 3 cm
- 4 ea Whole Peeled Shallots, grilled, pan-seared, or oven roasted
- 2.5 L Cold Water
- 100 g Lotus Root, cut 0.8 cm, soak in water
- 50 g Carrot, decoratively cut and sliced 2 mm thick
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Black Pepper Powder
- To Taste Sugar
- To Taste Fish Sauce
- To Garnish Spring Onion, chopped
- To Garnish Coriander, chopped
- Soak the U.S. Yellow Split Peas for at least 1 hour. Drain and wash.
- Blanch the pork and cool in ice water.
- Cook pork with the roasted shallot in the 2.5 L water for 10 minutes.
- Skim continuously to keep the broth clear.
- Then add the U.S. Yellow Split Peas and lotus root and simmer until the pork is tender.
- Add carrot and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Remove from the heat and add a dash of fish sauce.
- Arrange in the serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves and sliced spring onions.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Instead of pork feet, pork tails may be used.