U.S. Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons Canola or Olive Oil
- ¾ cup chopped Onion
- 2 tablespoons minced Garlic
- ½ cup chopped Tomato
- 3 cups cooked U.S. Lentils, whole cr mashed
- Vegetable Stock, Pork Stock or Water, as needed
- Spinach, Malabar Spinach (Alugbati) Or Moringa Leaves (Malunggay), washed and drained
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Fish Sauce (Patis), optional
- U.S. Pea Cracklings
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar, optional
- Heat oil in a pot. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and tomato. Sauté until aromatic.
- Add the U.S. lentils and stock (or water). Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the spinach, alugbati or malunggay. Cook just until wilted. Season with salt, pepper and patis, if desired.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot with U.S. pea cracklings, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Chef’s Note: You may also add some shrimps, smoked fish, bacon, sausage or smoked ham hock to this recipe.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings