Tagine of Chicken, U.S. Lentils and Chickpeas
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 3 large Onions, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated Ginger
- 1¼ teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1.4 to 1.6 kg Chicken Leg Quarters, halved or cut into serving pieces
- 2 cups Chicken Stock, or more
- Large Pinch of Saffron, optional
- 2 Whole Tomatoes, peeled then chopped
- Zest from One Lemon
- Sprig of Coriander
- Sprig of Parsley
- Sprig of Thyme
- 1 medium Carrot, cut into chunks
- 2 medium Potatoes, quartered
- ½ cup Dried Apricots, sliced
- 1/3 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes (soaked in warm water then drained), chopped
- 1 ½ cups cooked U.S. Lentils
- 1 cup cooked U.S. Chickpeas
- ½ cup Black Olives
- 1 Large Zucchini, cubed
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- chopped Parsley, for topping
- In a tagine or shallow pot, heat olive oil. Add onions, ginger and spices. Sauté until aromatic. Add the chicken. Cook until brown.
- Add the chicken stock, saffron, tomatoes, lemon zest, coriander, parsley and thyme. Top with carrots, potatoes, dried apricots and sundried tomatoes. Cook until almost done.
- Add the U.S. lentils, U.S. Chickpeas, black olives and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Top with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings