- 1 medium Bitter Gourd (Ampalaya)
- Water, as needed
- 1 cup U.S. Red Kidney Beans
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 medium Red Onion, chopped
- 200 g Ground Pork
- 1 medium Bell Pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Raisins
- 1 medium Carrot, grated
- ¼ teaspoon Iodized Salt
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
- Cooking Oil, for frying
- 1 medium Egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- Cut the ampalaya into halves (crosswise) and remove the seed and pulp. Rub the inside with salt and place in a pan previously filled with water. Put pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer then cook for 15 minutes, or just until barely tender.
- Remove pan from heat then drain well. Lay the ampalaya halves on a tray and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, mix together the red kidney beans with the rest of the ingredients. Blend well. This is the stuffing. Spoon stuffing into each of the ampalaya halves.
- Put the stuffed ampalaya in a steamer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the stuffed ampalaya from steamer and cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and flour until blended. Set aside briefly.
- In a pan, heat the cooking oil. Dip the cooled, stuffed ampalaya into the batter and fry until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain well the serve hot.
Servings per recipe: 4
Carbohydrates: 31.4 g
Fats: 31.8 g
Protein: 32.3 g
Recipe by: Novilla R. Montecillo, BNS-District B
Juvy C. Boloron – Coach