“Banh Xeo” with U.S. Whole Green Peas and U.S. Yellow Split Peas
- 50 g U.S. Yellow Split Peas
- 50 g U.S. Whole Green Peas
- 200 mL Fresh Coconut Milk
- 100 g “Bánh Xèo” Flour Mix
- 100 g Blue Tail Greasyback Shrimp, head, tail, and legs removed
- 100 g Pork Belly, thinly sliced
- 100 g Bean Sprouts, cut 1 cm
- 30 g Spring Onions, sliced
- 30 g Oil
- To Taste Ground Black Pepper
- To Taste Salt
- 150 mL Water from Young Coconuts
- 20 g Sugar15 mL Vinegar
- 30 mL Fish Sauce
- 15 g Garlic, chopped
- 15 g Red Bird Chili, chopped
- 50 g Pickle Juliennes (Vietnamese Radish and Carrot Pickles)
- Clean and soak U.S. Yellow Split Peas and U.S. Whole Green Peas overnight.
- Drain and wash.
- Boil the U.S. Yellow Split Peas in fresh water until tender.
- Cool in the cooking liquid then drain.
- Prepare the “Bánh Xèo” batter with the flour mix and the coconut milk and rest for 30 minutes.
- Then add the spring onion.
- Marinate pork belly with salt and pepper.
- Sauté the pork belly and greasyback shrimp quickly until cooked.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan to a high temperature.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly like for a pancake.
- When the batter is half cooked, add bean sprouts, U.S. Yellow Split Peas, U.S. Whole Green Peas, sautéed pork, and shrimp on top. Cover and completely cook the “Bánh Xèo.”
- Add more oil around the “Bánh Xèo” to make it crisper.
- Fold the “Bánh Xèo” in half and transfer to the serving dish.
- Bring the coconut water, sugar, fish sauce, and vinegar to a boil.
- Set aside to cool.
- Then add garlic, chili, and pickles.
- Serve on the side.
- Arrange the “Bánh Xèo” on the serving dish.
- Serve the vegetables: cucumbers, lettuce, and herbs in basket or other serving dish, and serve on the side with the dipping sauce.