U.S. Black Beans Cooked with Beef Shank
- 50 g U.S. Black Beans
- 10 g Annatto Seeds
- 50 mL Oil
- 600 g Beef Shank Meat
- 30 g Garlic, chopped
- 30 g Shallots, chopped
- To Taste 5-Spice Powder
- To Taste Ground Black Pepper
- To Taste Sugar
- 150 g Small Baby Potatoes, peeled
- 50 g Butter
- 100 g Pearl Onions or Shallots, whole or decoratively cut
- 100 g Carrots, diced 4cm or Baby Carrots
- 100 g Tomatoes, chopped
- 50 g Tomato Paste
- 15 g Tapioca Starch
- 1.5 L Water
- 5 g Bay Leaves
- To Taste Salt
- To Garnish Coriander Leaves
- Soak the U.S. Black Beans overnight, drain and rinse.
- Boil U.S. Black Beans in fresh water until tender. Then cool in the cooking liquid.
- Sauté annatto seed with oil to extract the color. Drain the seeds and set aside.
- Blanch the beef shank meat in boiling water and cool in ice water.
- Dice 1.5 cm.
- Marinate beef shank dices for 15 minutes with the chopped garlic and shallot, 5-spice powder, black pepper, sugar, and annatto oil.
- Stir fry the baby potatoes and carrots in the oil until nice brown color.
- Add butter and toss. Set aside.
- Stir fry the marinated beef shank dices on high heat until brown all over.
- Reduce the heat and add the tomato paste and combine well.
- Dust with the tapioca starch – stir well.
- Add water and bay leaves and bring to a boil and skim.
- Simmer the beef shanks and skim if necessary.
- Halfway through the cooking process add the sautéed potatoes, carrots, and pearl onions.
- Simmer until all ingredients are tender.
- Add the U.S. Black Beans and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Taste as desired.
- Arrange on the serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Vietnamese bread “Bánh Mì” and salt-pepper-lime on the side.* Salt-pepper-lime is a Vietnamese seasoning dip served on the side with meat dishes, grilled foods and in general and fish and seafood.