Serves: 4 servings
Ingredients for Roasted Garlic
- 1 Garlic bulb
- ½ tbsp Olive oil
Ingredients for Mashed Potatoes
- 1.2 kg Potatoes
- Water to cook potatoes
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1.5 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, grounded (optional)
- Roasted garlic (above)
Ingredients for Chia Egg
- 3 tbsp Chia Seeds, grounded
- 80g Water
Ingredients for Sausage (Yield: 8 sausages – 80g each)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- Chia Egg (above)
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 300g Navy Beans, cooked
- 90g Oat Flour
- 60g Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Cumin, grounded
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
Ingredients for Vegetable Demi-Glace
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 stalks of Celery
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 2 Leeks, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 200g Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 30g Tomato Paste
- 60g Red Wine
- 3 sprigs of Thyme
- 2 stems of Parsley
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1.5 liters of Water
Ingredients for Red Wine Gravy
- Vegetable demi-glace (above)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 50g Button Mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tbsp All-purpose flour
Ingredients for Cooked Green Peas
- 120g Green Peas, frozen
- Water to blanch
Instructions for roasting garlic
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Peel and discard the papery outer layers of the whole garlic bulb. Leave intact the skins of the individual cloves of garlic, and cut 1 cm from the top of cloves.
- Place the garlic heads in a baking pan, cut side up. Drizzle them with olive oil and cover the bulbs with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the cloves are lightly browned and feel soft when pressed.
- Remove from the oven and wait for it to cool down, then remove roasted garlic cloves from their skins.
- Mash the roasted garlic and set aside.
Instructions for mashed potatoes
- Peel and cut potatoes, then place in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, add a pinch of salt and cook for 25-30 minutes or until very tender.
- Once tender, drain the potatoes, then place them back into the hot pot that’s off the heat for 1 minute to evaporate any additional water.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher until fluffy.
- Add in vegan butter, the roasted garlic puree, sea salt, black pepper, and nutmeg, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Instructions for chia egg
- If you’re using whole chia seeds, blend them in a spice grinder until they turn into a fine powder.
- Add the chia seeds to a small dish and add in water. Stir and let it rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
Instructions for sausage
- Rinse the canned navy beans with water, then pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Heat up a skillet on medium-high heat with olive oil, and saute chopped garlic and onion with tomato paste.
- Process walnuts in a food processor, just a few pulses to turn them into crumbs but still keep their texture, then set aside.
- In the food processor, add the navy beans, the sauteed garlic and onion with tomato paste, the chia egg, red wine vinegar, and oat flour. Add all the seasoning, including soy sauce, onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin, dijon mustard, sea salt, and black pepper, then blend them together until combined.
- Add the crushed walnuts at the end and blend just a few times to combine them, then leave the mixture to rest in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Form 8 sausages by separating the mixture into 80g per sausage, wrap each one in parchment paper and tin foil, then twist the ends like a candy wrapper, and leave to rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Place the sausages in a steamer basket and steam for around 35 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove sausages from the parchment paper and tin foil, then set aside.
Instructions for vegetable demi-glace
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prepare all the vegetables. Crush garlic with skin on, peel carrot and onion, then cut them into big chunks. Also cut the rest of the vegetables, including celery, leeks, and button mushrooms into big chunks.
- Toss the vegetables with olive oil, then bake for 1 hour or until the vegetables are golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from the oven, and stir in the tomato paste until thoroughly combined. Continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Place the vegetables in a large pot. Pour wine onto the baking tray and scrape up any browned bits. Add the wine mixture to the vegetables, along with thyme, parsley, bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain the stock through a sieve into another pot, pressing the vegetables to extract all the juices. Over high heat, boil for 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
Instructions for red wine gravy
- Heat up a skillet on medium-high heat with olive oil. Saute sliced onion and mushrooms until the onions are translucent and mushrooms are all cooked. Add flour into the mixture and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the vegetable demi-glace into the mixture and mix well. Continue cooking on medium-high heat for about 7-10 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency of a sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed, then set aside.
Instructions for cooking sausages
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brush the sausages with a little olive oil on each side, then add them to the pan. Turn them occasionally until they are brown and heated through. Remove and set aside.
Instructions for cooking green peas
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Add in green peas and let them simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Scoop a great amount of mashed potatoes onto the serving plate.
- Place two sausages on top of the mashed potatoes, then pour the gravy.
- Place two tbsp of green peas on top, and serve.