Serves: 1 large tart
Ingredients for the tart crust
250g All Purpose Flour
- 150g Vegan Butter
- 2-3 tbsp Cold Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Ingredients to cook the green split peas
- 50g Dry Green Split Peas
- 150g Water
- A pinch of Salt
Ingredients for the tart filling
- 400g Tofu, slightly firm
- 4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 80g Soy Milk
- 180g Champignon Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 8 Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- Black Pepper, crushed
- Thyme Sprigs (optional)
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, and vegan butter. Add enough cold water to make the crumb mixture come together to form a firm dough.
- Roll the dough with your hands, cover with plastic film, then place it in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Push the pastry into all corners of the dish. Trim the edges, cover the dish with plastic film, then place it in the fridge to rest for another 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Remove the pastry dish from the fridge, then poke holes at the bottom of the pastry using a fork. Line the base of the pastry with parchment paper, then put weight on it by using a tool called baking beans, or anything else that can be used as weight and can be in the oven. The weight on the bottom will keep the pie from puffing up and the weight against the sides will keep the sides from sagging as the crust bakes.
- Bake it in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove the baking beans and parchment paper, then bake the pastry dish for another 15-20 minutes until it is lightly golden brown.
- Rinse the green split peas and soak them in room temperature water for about 20 minutes. Drain then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add water, a pinch of salt, and the green split peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the green split peas are just tender but still holding their shape. Drain, then set aside to cool.
- Drain the tofu and gently squeeze the water out.
- Add the tofu, soy milk, and all the seasonings (nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black salt, black pepper) into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Slice the mushrooms and sauté with olive oil. Lightly season the mushrooms and set aside.
- Combine the tofu blend with the sautéed mushrooms and cooked green split peas, then pour into the baked tart crust.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half and place on top of the tart filling.
- Bake at 180°C for about 25-30 minutes.