- 2 cups Glutinous Rice
- 6 cups Water, or as needed
- ½ teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 2 to 3 Pandan Leaves, washed and tied into a knot
- 1 ½ to 2 cups cooked U.S. Yellow Split Peas, or more
- 2 cups Fresh Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Fresh Coconut Cream, or more
- 1 cup Granulated or Washed Sugar, or as desired
- In a pot, put together glutinous rice, water, salt and pandan leaves. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer. Cook until rice is very soft and creamy. Add more water, if necessary.
- When rice gruel is ready, add U.S. yellow split peas and coconut milk. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes then add coconut cream and sugar.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust the flavor and texture by adding more salt, sugar and water, as desired.
- Remove pandan leaves. Pour into serving bowls and serve hot.
Yield: 8 to 12 servings