Arroz Caldo with U.S. Green Split Peas
- 2 cups Uncooked Rice
- 6 to 8 cups Chicken Stock or Water, or more
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Vegetable or Corn Oil
- 1 or 2 Knobs of Fresh Ginger, pounded or sliced
- 6 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 700 to 800 Grams Whole Chicken or Chicken Leg Quarters, cut into serving pieces
- 1 ½ to 2 cups cooked U.S. Green Split Peas
- Dried Safflower or Kasubha, optional
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Fish Sauce or Patis, as desired
- More U.S. Green Split Peas, boiled then fried, optional
- fried Garlic
- chopped Scallion
- Hardboiled Egg
- Calamansi, halved
- Cook rice in chicken stock or water until very soft and mushy. Add more water, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pot. Sauté ginger and garlic until aromatic. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the rice gruel to the sautéed chicken. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes then add the U.S. green split peas, and kasubha, if desired. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken becomes fork tender. Add more chicken stock (or water), if necessary. Season with salt, pepper and patis.
- Remove pot from heat and pour into serving bowls. Serve hot with fried U.S. green split peas, fried garlic, chopped scallion, hardboiled egg, patis and calamansi.
Yield: 8 to 12 servings