- 225g Chickpeas, dried
- 150g Rolled Oats
- 1 liters Water
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
Stir-fry Components (for 1 portion)
- ½ White Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 Coriander Roots, minced
- 1 Red Chili, sliced
- 3 Bird’s Eye Chili, minced (optional)
- 6 tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp Mushroom Sauce
- 1 tsp Sweet Black Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce, low sodium
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- Red Chili, sliced
- Fresh Coriander, chopped
- White Sesame Seeds, toasted
Chickpea Tofu Instructions
- Soak the chickpeas for 3-6 hours or overnight.
- Rinse off the water and transfer the soaked chickpeas into a high speed blender.
- Start blending the chickpeas with water for about 15 seconds or until the texture starts to break apart. Add the rolled oats and continue blending for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a cheesecloth or nut-milk bag, then squeeze out the liquid as much as possible.
- Transfer the liquid into a pot and cook on medium-heat until the liquid thickens like a paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a prepared tin mold to set. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. Let it cool and place in the fridge for about 2 hours.
Stir-fry and Serving Instructions
- Remove the tofu from the tin mold by gently tapping on the side of the mold. Turn the mold upside down and tap it again. Once the tofu is removed, cut into small cubes, about 3*3 cm each.
- Drizzle with canola oil and cook at 200°C in the air fryer for about 15-20 minutes or until the color is nice and golden. After the first 10 minutes, turn the tofu to help it cook evenly. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat up canola oil, then add garlic, onion, and stir-fry until nice in color. Add chili, cooked chickpea tofu and coriander roots. Cook for about a minute, then start adding all the seasoning sauce. Continue cooking until the sauce is nicely combined and thick.
- Once the tofu stir fry achieves the right flavor and consistency to your liking, add sliced red chilis and fresh coriander. Combine well and remove from the stove.
- Serve with rice and garnish with red chili slices, toasted sesame seeds, and coriander.