Pasta Salad with Tuna, U.S. Chickpeas and Split Peas
- 1 pack (450 Grams) Fusilli, Penne, Farfalle or Orzo
- ½ cup cooked U.S. Green Split Peas
- ½ cup cooked U.S. Yellow Split Peas
- 1 cup cooked U.S. Chickpeas
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated Lemon Zest
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil or Oregano
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup Toasted Pine Nuts, optional
- 1 can Tuna (in brine or oil), drained
- ½ to ¾ cup Feta Cheese, diced or crumbled
- Cook the pasta in lightly salted water until al dente. Drain well then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Cool completely.
- Cook the U.S. green split peas and U.S. yellow split peas according to package directions. Drain and cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar (or lemon juice), garlic and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Add to cooled pasta.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Toss well. Transfer to a serving platter. Chill until needed.
Chef’s Note: You may also add some grilled vegetables to this recipe.
Yield: 8 to 12 servings