Vegan Three Bean Sloppy Joe Sliders
Serves: 10 (20 Sliders)
- 1 can Reduced Sodium U.S. Kidney Beans, Rinsed and Drained (15 oz per can)
- 1 can Reduced Sodium U.S. Pinto Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 can Reduced Sodium U.S. White Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1/2 cup Finely Diced Yellow Onion
- 1/2 cup Ketchup, Preferably Without High Fructose Corn Syrup
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Celery Seed
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- to taste Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 tsp Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch
- 20 Whole Wheat Slider Rolls (or Gluten Free if Desired)
- In a small bowl whisk together all of the ingredients minus the beans, onion and arrowroot powder.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan or pot over medium heat. Spray the bottom with cooking oil then add in the diced onion. Sauté 2-3 minutes then add in the beans and the sauce. Stir together until combined and bring to a simmer.
- In the same bowl that the sauce was in whisk together the arrowroot powder or cornstarch with a teaspoon of water until it’s smooth. Pour it into the bean mixture and stir together until combined.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer over low heat for another 5-7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the beans are heated through.
- Taste for seasoning then serve on whole wheat or gluten-free slider rolls topped with dill pickle chips, lettuce and tomato.
- The sloppy Joe mixture can be made 1-2 days in advance if needed and reheated on the stove or in the microwave. Just like with chili, they taste even better the next day.