Soothing Garlic U.S. Chickpea Soup
- 2 cups Raw Chickpeas (or can Substitute Cooked)
- 1 Small Onion, Peeled and Left Whole
- 5 cups Water
- 1/2 tbsp Kosher Salt (More or Less to Taste)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 cup Crushed Tomatoes
- Lime Juice
- Fresh Chopped Parsley and Cilantro
- Green Chili or Jalapeños, Chopped
- Chili Flakes
- Cook U.S. chickpeas with a whole onion, peeled with an instant pot, a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, or you don’t have, just cook on your normal stove. The onion here adds a nice depth of flavor to the U.S. chickpeas, but not a strong one, so it’s important to leave the onion whole – not sliced or chopped.
- Once the U.S. chickpeas are cooked, drain them and save the water. In the same pot, sauté plenty of garlic in some olive oil, add in fresh grated tomatoes or crushed canned tomatoes, some cumin and the chickpea water.
- Add the U.S. chickpeas into the pot and let them simmer in this garlic tomato broth for at least half an hour.
- For the final dress up, squirt in some lime juice, throw in some fresh chopped parsley and cilantro, and finish off with some chopped green chili or jalapeños.