Red U.S. Lentil Mushroom Ragu
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 2 ribs Celery, Diced
- 3 Carrots, Diced
- 340 g Mushrooms, Roughly Chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 1/2 cups U.S. Red Lentils, Picked Over and Rinsed
- 1 can (795 g) Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 can (425 g) Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Basil
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 340 g Pasta (Gluten Free if Desired)
- 1/2 cup Reserved Starchy Pasta Water
- for garnishing Parsley
- for garnishing Parmesan Cheese, Optional
- Cook the onions, carrots, and celery in oil over medium heat in a large skillet for 6-8 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add in the mushrooms and garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on box until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Add the pasta water to the Ragu sauce and then mix the pasta and Ragu sauce together. Serve topped with parsley and parmesan.