- 6 Large Flour Tortillas
- 540ml U.S. Black, Pinto, or Red Kidney Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 250ml Chunky Medium Salsa
- 2ml Chili Powder (Optional)
- 250ml Low-Fat Cheddar or Low-Fat Mozzarella Cheese, Grated
- 60ml Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 250ml Low-Fat Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Using a 10cm cookie cutter, cut four rounds out of each flour tortilla. Alternatively, use a 7.5cm cookie cutter to make seven rounds for mini muffin cups.
- Press the tortilla rounds into muffin cups. If the tortillas are not soft enough, carefully microwave the rounds for 15 seconds or lightly brush one side with water.
- Bake cups for 12-15 minutes, until light golden and crisp (these can be made several days ahead and stored in an airtight container).
- While cups are baking, combine beans, salsa, chili powder, cheese, and cilantro into a medium bowl.
- For regular muffin pans, spoon 1 1/2-2 tbsp (20-30ml) filling into the tortilla cups, and 1/2-1 tbsp (7-15ml) into mini cups.
- Place the cups on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of low-fat (about 2 tsp / 10ml) sour cream.
Yield: 24 Tex Mex Bites
Serving Size: 1 Tex Mex Bite