Serving: 5 Burgers
- 5 Vegan Burger Buns
- 3 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 5 Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
- 5 Lettuce leaves
- 5 tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise
- 3 tsp Dijon Mustard
Ingredients for Patty (1 patty: 110g)
- 250g Tempeh
- 100g Lion’s Mane Mushroom
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, ground
- 100g Chickpea, cooked
- 1 tbsp Flax seed powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Mushroom Seasoning
- 1 tsp Oregano, dried
- ½ tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Oat Flour
- 50g Walnuts
- 60g Beetroot purée
- A few drops of Smoke Essence (optional)
Ingredients for Yellow Split Pea Cheese Sauce
- 30g Yellow Split Peas
- 180g Potatoes, Cooked
- 60g Cashew Nuts
- 4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- ½ tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp Dijon mustard
- 180g Soy Milk, unsweetened
- 40g Water
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- ¼ tsp White Pepper
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
Directions for cooking the yellow split peas
- Rinse yellow split peas and soak them in room temperature water for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add water, a pinch of salt, and the yellow split peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the yellow split peas are just tender but still holding their shape. Drain, then set aside to cool.
Directions for cooking the patty
- Break the tempeh block and lion’s mane mushrooms by hand into small pieces, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat up a bit of olive oil then stir-fry garlic and onions until they turn into a nice golden color. Add the lion’s mane mushrooms and cook them thoroughly, then add the tempeh pieces. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes on medium heat. Season with soy sauce, sugar and black pepper, then set aside.
- In a food processor, blend a few walnuts until they break into small crumbs, then set aside.
- Drain chickpeas from the can and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the chickpeas. Add the stir-fried mushroom-tempeh, then add flax seeds, oat flour, beetroot purée and all the seasoning (mushroom seasoning, oregano, coriander powder, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, smoke essence) then continue blending until combined well. Check whether it needs more seasoning, then add the walnut crumbs and blend just a bit to combine them.
- Leave the batter to rest for 10 minutes to allow the flax seeds and oat flour to absorb the liquid, then start forming the patties by dividing them into 110g per patty.
Directions for the yellow split pea cheese sauce
- Bake potatoes or boil until tender, then mash them to a purée and set aside.
- Chop cashew nuts and soak them in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain, then set aside.
- In a food blender, blend soy milk with the mashed potatoes until smooth. Add the soaked cashew nuts, water, yellow split peas, turmeric powder and the rest of the seasoning (nutritional yeast, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, dijon mustard, sea salt, white pepper), then blend them together until it becomes a smooth consistency (you can also add more water to get the final consistency of the sauce).
Directions for assembling the burger
- Set a pan on the stove top, then add a few drops of olive oil. Sear both sides of the patty until they turn into a nice color, then set aside.
- Slice the burger buns in half and butter the bread on both sides, then grill the buns on the hot pan until they turn into a nice color.
- Start assembling the burger by adding mayonnaise to the bottom part of the bun and mustard on the top part of the bun. Place lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced onion, and patty, then add the yellow split pea cheese sauce, and serve.