Stewed Chicken with U.S Chickpeas
Makes 2 portions
- 100 g U.S. Chickpeas
- 10 g Annatto Seeds
- 50 mL Oil
- 700 g One Half of a Chicken
- 50 g Garlic, chopped
- 50 g Small Shallots, whole or cut in half
- 100 g Carrot, diced 1 cm
- As Needed Oil
- 50 g Butter
- 50 g Tomato Paste
- 300 mL Coconut Juice (Young Coconut Water)
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Sugar
- To Taste Black Pepper Powder
- To Garnish Coriander
- Soak the U.S. Chickpeas overnight. Drain and wash.
- Boil U.S. Chickpeas in fresh water until tender. Cool in the cooking liquid. Then drain.
- Sauté annatto seeds with oil to extract the color. Drain the seeds and set aside.
- Cut the chicken into 4 pieces.
- Marinate the chicken with chopped garlic and annatto oil for 15 minutes.
- Stir-fry the carrots in the oil until nice brown color.
- At the end add the butter and glaze the carrots. Set aside.
- Stir-fry chicken pieces until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan.
- To the same pan add the tomato paste and sauté shortly.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Pour in the coconut water and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Add the carrots and shallots, and simmer until all ingredients are cooked.
- Add the U.S. Chickpeas and simmer to heat through.
- Arrange nicely in a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Serve hot with Vietnamese “Bánh Mì” bread, steamed rice, and salt-pepper-lime.