Oxtail Soup with U.S. Navy Beans, U.S. Whole Green Peas and Lotus Root
- 30 g U.S. Navy Beans
- 30 g U.S. Whole Green Peas
- 800 g Skinless Oxtail, cubed 3cm
- 100 g Lotus Root, sliced 8mm
- 50 g Carrots, decoratively cut and sliced 5mm
- 50 g (5 ea) Peeled Whole Shallots, roasted*
- 20 g (1 ea) Whole Piece of Ginger, roasted*
- 2.5 ltr Cold Water
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Fish Sauce
- To Garnish Roughly Chopped Coriander Leaves
- To Garnish Sliced Spring Onions
- To Taste Sliced Fresh Red Bird Chilies
- To Taste Ground Black Pepper
- Soak the U.S. Navy Beans and U.S Whole Green Peas overnight, drain and wash.
- Boil U.S. Navy Beans and U.S Whole Green Peas until tender, drain.
- Blanch oxtail shortly in hot water and refresh in ice water. Remove any undesired fat and/or sinew.
- Add the grilled shallot, grilled ginger, beef tail in to a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low – medium high heat and simmer. (it is important that the water only simmers have a stock as clear as possible)
- Once the oxtails are 60% cooked (time depends on oxtail quality), remove the ginger.
- Add the soaked U.S. Navy Beans, soaked U.S Whole Green Peas and lotus root.
- Continue to simmer until the oxtail and the U.S. Pulses are just tender.
- Add carrots and continue to cook until all ingredients are done.
- Season with the fish sauce and add salt if needed.
- Arrange the oxtail with the U.S. Pulses in the serving dish.
- Sprinkle with the coriander leaves and spring onions.
- Dust with the ground black pepper.
- Serve the sliced red chilies on the side and add as desired.
Serve hot with steam rice
* Roasted = roasted over fire, in a pan or in an oven until fragrant