- 30 g U.S. Navy Beans
- 30 g U.S. Whole Green Peas
- 800 g Skinless Oxtail, cubed 3 cm
- 100 g Lotus Root, sliced 8 mm
- 50 g Carrots, decoratively cut and sliced 5 mm
- 50 g (5 ea) Peeled Whole Shallots, roasted*
- 20 g (1 ea) Whole Piece of Ginger, roasted*
- 2.5 L Cold Water
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Fish Sauce
- To Garnish Coriander Leaves, roughly chopped
- To Garnish Spring Onions, sliced
- To Taste Fresh Red Bird Chili, sliced
- To Taste Ground Black Pepper
- Soak the U.S. Navy Beans and U.S. Whole Green Peas overnight, drain and wash.
- Boil U.S. Navy Beans and U.S. Whole Green Peas until tender, drain.
- Blanch oxtail shortly in hot water and refresh in ice water. Remove any undesired fat and / or sinew.
- Add the grilled shallot, grilled ginger, and beef tail into a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low-medium heat and simmer. (It is important that the water only simmers and has as clear a stock as possible.)
- Once the oxtails are 60% cooked (time depends on oxtail quality), remove the ginger.
- Add the soaked U.S. Navy Beans, soaked U.S. Whole Green Peas, and lotus root.
- Continue to simmer until the oxtail and the U.S. Pulses are just tender.
- Add carrots and continue to cook until all ingredients are done.
- Season with the fish sauce and add salt if needed.
- Arrange the oxtail with the U.S. Pulses in the serving dish.
- Sprinkle with the coriander leaves and spring onions.
- Dust with the ground black pepper.
- Serve the sliced red chilies on the side and add as desired.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Roasted = roasted over fire, in a pan or in an oven until fragrant.