U.S. Navy Beans Cooked with Baby Back Ribs
- 50 g U.S. Navy Beans
- 10 g Annatto Seeds
- 50 ml Oil
- 600 g Pork Baby Back Ribs, cut 4cm
- 30 g Garlic, chopped
- 30 g Shallots, chopped
- 200 g Potato, diced 4cm
- 150 g Carrot, diced 4cm
- 100 g Peeled Tomatoes, chopped
- 50 g Tomato Paste
- 50 g Unsalted Butter
- 5 g Bay leaf
- 15 g Tapioca Starch
- 1.5 ltr Water
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Ground Black Pepper
- To Taste Sugar
- To Décor Coriander
- Clean and soak U.S. Navy Bean overnight. Wash and drain.
- Boil U.S. Navy Bean until tender. Drain and cool in the cooking liquid.
- Sauté annatto seed with oil to extract the color. Drain the seeds and set aside.
- Marinate the baby back ribs with the chopped garlic, shallot, salt, pepper and annatto oil for 15 minutes.
- Stir fry the baby potatoes and carrots in the oil until nice brown color.
- Add butter and toss. Set aside.
- Stir fry the marinated pork ribs on high heat until brown all over.
- Reduce the heat and add the tomato paste and combine well.
- Dust with the tapioca starch – stir well.
- Add water and bay leaves and bring to a boil and skim.
- Simmer the pork ribs and skim if necessary.
- Half way through the cooking process add the sautéed potatoes and carrots.
- Simmer until all ingredients are tender.
- Add the U.S. Black Beans and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Season with salt pepper and sugar.
- Arrange on the serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Vietnamese bread “banh mi” and salt-pepper-lime on the side.
* Salt-Pepper-Lime is a Vietnamese seasoning dip served on the side with meat dishes, grilled foods in general and fish and seafood.